Friday, September 30, 2005

The poem Pharaonic Summoning by Syrian poet Muhammad Al-Maghut (my translation):
"The world
does not like my nation
and my nation
does not like my homeland
and my homeland
does not like my village
and my village
does not like my
quarter
and my quarter
does not like my house
and my house
does not like my room
and my room
does not like my pillow
and my pillow
does not like my head
and my head
does not like my forehead
and my forehead
does not like my poems
and my poems
do not like my fingers
and my fingers
do not like one another
*
And they all see in me
a steadfast fortress
and a towering mountain
in the face of time
and do not see the
crumbling hut in my depth!
All hear the neighing and screams
of battle,
and see the inscriptions on the saddle,
and the dust of the spurs
swimming in the air,
and do not see
my foot which is stuck
in the heels"